October – things are getting chilly now!
I really can’t believe how quickly this year is going – whats going on!?
We are now firmly back into routine with school and work etc… – and the holidays are a distant memory. However, this month brings with it Halloween and for lots of us a week (or two) of school half term holidays – which means a few things to look forward to.
So, without further ado, let’s get on and talk about some of the ideas and help on things to do in October, to make the most of the month and make it count.
THOUGHTS ON OCTOBER
Hopefully being back in the routine of school has helped you to get loads done last month, and this month should really be no different.
I love this time of year as we are now truly in Autumn, and are half way from the summer to Christmas. It gets exciting, and having things to look forward to helps get through the colder, darker days!
THINGS TO DO IN OCTOBER
#1 – GET PREPARED FOR CHRISTMAS
I know, I know – the last thing we all want to do is think too much about Christmas – but the fact is that it is coming – and being able to get ahead of the game when it comes to preparations can really help ease the stress of the lead up to the big day itself.
Why not use half term to your advantage if you have children as this can be a great time to start getting things ready in the house – or even starting to buy presents (my mum would always try and buy everything by the end of half term so that the more hectic weeks ahead didn’t have added stress, and this is something I have tried to do in my adult life as well – I can fully recommend it).
Another great idea for this month is to have a good declutter of your home. When Christmas comes round it will bring with it lots of new things and lots of its own clutter – and so having a sort out before hand can really help to create space for the new things Santa may bring us, or just get some clarity and space back.
I like to also get the main skeleton of the plans sorted by this month:-
Who is staying?
Where are you going to be visiting?
What parties are there?
Are you planning a holiday? (booking required!)
Who are you buying presents for?
They are the overview items as I call them – off which everything else hangs. Without knowing these fundamental things you won’t be able to as easily start buying presents when you see them, get some of the tinned/packaged food that you can start to add to your weekly shop now a little at a time, work out if you need a new outfit or two (especially if you have a big Christmas party to attend).
So – its definitely worth thinking about those big things, and starting the lists so that you can do little bits each week. Trust me – you’ll thank yourself for doing it this way by the time December rolls around (and it will be here in a flash given how fast the rest of the year has gone!)
(If you need help with the planning, I have created a gorgeous Christmas Planner with 54 pages of printables to get you organised, you can take a look at it right HERE)
#2 – SORT OUT THE HOLIDAYS
Whether you have kids or not, there is a good reason to sort out a break this month – it will keep you going! (after all, this is the longest period we have each year without a Bank Holiday to enjoy, and the nights are getting darker and longer).
If you have kids, then plan in what you are going to do over half term – make it a mix of things so that you can get some stuff done, and they have a great time. Even think about utilising childrens clubs so you can still work or get things done around the house – the children will love to mix with their peers so its a treat for them!
Whatever your plans – get them booked in. Book play dates, days out, visiting friends and relatives etc… – and don’t wait until the last minute as so often people have loads to plan in as well at this time so you may miss out.
OTHER THINGS TO LOOK AT IN OCTOBER
- Halloween – a great excuse to dress up! – maybe you could have a party this year – a great excuse for a get together.
- Get your supply of treats ready for Halloween – you are bound to get some little witches and wizards knocking!
- Plan what you want to do for Bonfire night, and getting tickets if you are going to a proper event. These are always worth it if you can find a local one, as you get so many more fireworks to see and its a lot less dangerous! I remember a few years ago I was working in Belgium and flew back on Guy Fawkes night, how amazing and weird to see the fireworks below! it was a fantastic sight!
- The clocks in the UK go back this month – so mark this in your diary to ensure you don’t forget! – and get ready for the darker evenings…… (I quite like it as it feels cosier – or maybe I’m just a glass half full kind of girl!)
- Get outside! – the leaves are now changing and falling and its a great time of year to enjoy the scenery – get your wellies and a warm coat on and make the most of it (there can always be a hot chocolate/log fire/local pub to enjoy at the end!). Make the most of some fresh air as it is all too easy to stay indoors.
- Ensure your car is ready for the colder months – have a blanket and some water and food in your boot in case of a breakdown, and check tyres etc… – have you got de-icer etc…?
- Birthstone = Opal
- Zodiac Signs – Libra September 23rd to October 22nd and Scorpio October 23rd to November 21st
OCTOBER TO DO LIST PRINTABLE
If you are like me and love to write lists at any opportunity, then you will love this free printable that can help you stay on track for the whole month – with everything in one place: –
WANT A COPY?
It’s available in the OMH Printables Library – the place where all free printables from the site are kept. Simply enter your email to become a member and get instant access. Hope you enjoy!
If you don’t have kids, then why not book a holiday or a short break anyway – a sort of half term for the grown ups! – as you will recharge in what is the longest spell without a bank holiday. With nights getting longer and everything cooling down, it’s always a good idea to do as much as you can to keep smiling!
Also, it’s really important to at least plan the big parts of Christmas up front – as then you will be able to start buying/preparing things as the weeks go by – it really will creep up on you if you don’t get sorted soon…
It would be very easy to get very down in October – and that’s the last thing we want to do – so think of all the positives as much as you possibly can, put a smile on as well as those raincoats and wellies, and get out there and embrace the seasonal change!
And while we’re at it – lets keep organised! After all – then you’ll have more time for fun than ever!
Here’s to an amazing October – Enjoy!