June. Warmer days, lighter evenings, summer is well and truly on it’s way and the school summer holidays are only a month away – What’s not to love about this month!
THOUGHTS ON JUNE
I don’t think there’s anything that compares to being woken up by the sunlight feeling refreshed – being energised enough to get loads done, and then being able to sit outside at the end of the day enjoying the evening sun. This time of year it’s so important to get outside as much as possible (the weather may not last, it is the UK after all!)
As such, this month is a great time for al fresco socialising – from BBQs to days spent outdoors with friends and family – what could be better!
THINGS TO DO IN JUNE
As with all housekeeping tasks there are some that are nicer to do than others. Some may prefer cleaning related and others the books – and it’s the latter people that will love this month as it’s all about getting money and information in order in the house.
Although an inside job, dealing with finances, filing, paperwork etc… can seem a little easier when you can open the windows and let some fresh air in – and it usually helps the process go faster which is especially useful if you have a tendency to put things like this off.
Let’s use June to really get to grips with this area of home life, as you will feel so much better once it’s all done!
#1 – TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR FINANCES
If you can do two things this month they will help you going forward:-
1. GET TO GRIPS WITH YOUR BUDGET
If you can get a handle on your budget you are much more in control of your life and home.
Seeing what is coming into the house, and noting everything that goes out each month can be a real eye opener, and if you haven’t already you will be amazed at what you can find out.
Maybe you could save more each month, or you can see where you need to cut back etc… – knowledge as they say, is power!
2. MINIMISE YOUR OUTGOINGS
It always pays to spend less wherever possible!
Why not take some time this month to check that you are getting the best deals you can get for things like Gas, Electricity, Phone, TV etc…. as you can save quite a bit if you make the time to shop around.
Also look at your food shopping and other shopping and see whether you can buy things cheaper elsewhere. Places such as Aldi, Lidl and discount stores (also online stores) have some great value items so even switching half your shopping to these places could make a massive difference to your spending.
#2 – DEAL WITH THE PAPERWORK MOUNTAIN!
Spend some time this month tackling your filing – get rid of anything that you really don’t need to keep (shred and recycle), and generally tidy up wherever you keep your important papers.
On top of that, putting a system in place to tackle the paperwork just makes sense – you will be able to find things more easily and waste less money and time on forgotten items.
Heres a link to an article I wrote a while back on getting paperwork organised – Top 15 tips to get your paperwork organised
And of course – not forgetting the Paperwork:sorted! Ebook available on this site – this takes your through step by step the system that really works – never lose any paperwork again!
If you only gain a few extra pounds (cash!) this month, and set up a paperwork system thats easy to use and helps you save time – then it’s worth doing – don’t you think! (then you can really sit back and enjoy the summer when it comes round!)
OTHER THINGS TO LOOK AT IN JUNE
- 21st June is the longest day. It evokes a real feel good factor that the sun is out for the longest time – it makes you feel that you have more time in the day to get things done – and then there’s still time to relax when its light!
- Fathers day is traditionally the 3rd Sunday of this month – what better time to let your dad know how much he means to you
- Summer has really started now – have you booked your holidays and days out yet? A handy hint is to check out some local hotels websites, they usually have local attractions on them and you’ll be surprised at how many you may not have been to as yet!
- Organise a BBQ with friends you haven’t seen for a while
- Make the most of the sun and try and have at least 10 mins to yourself in it every day – make sure you have applied suncream first though!
- If you work for yourself, ensure that you have worked out your working days over the school holidays – have you arranged for childcare as yet? Can you postpone some clients until September?
- Make the most of the warmer nights and days by trying some outdoor sports – tennis, bodyboarding, even just walking will all be fantastic at this time of year! It will also help you to stay in shape if you change your fitness routines at least every 6 weeks.
- Eat more salads and fruit – at this time of year its so easy – and quick to prepare gorgeous meals. A favourite with myself and my hubby is a salad with marinated meat – you can have such a variety that you could eat every evening meal like this! What about Cajun Chicken with Green Salad, Minted Lamb Steaks with roasted veg, or Salmon with spinach salad – I can go on but it’s making me hungry just thinking about it!
- Birthstone = Pearl
- Flower = Rose
- Zodiac Signs – Gemini May 21st to June 20th and Cancer June 21st to July 20th
Take a look at the free printable I have created for you for June – lots of space for TO DO’s and other notes to keep you on track: –
WANT A COPY?
It’s available in the OMH Printables Library – the place where all free printables from the site are kept. Simply enter your email to become a member and get instant access. Hope you enjoy!
Let’s spend June doing a couple of things –
Firstly, why not get ready for the summer and start to think about the holidays in more detail by arranging outings, childcare, BBQs etc….
and secondly, to get some of the less looked at household jobs done like sorting out finances and paperwork
you will thank yourself come July!