April – the month of Easter, Spring really getting going, lighter nights are upon us – it really is one of my favourite months!
It is a month that’s the best time of year to think about refreshing things in your home and life, as everything seems to be waking up after the winter, and is ready for whatever lies ahead.
It feels like a new beginning.
THOUGHTS ON APRIL
January was all about getting everything back to normal after Christmas, in February we planned the year, March was about setting some of those plans in action by getting our TO DO lists sorted – so now it’s time to focus on the house a bit.
The main TO DO’s will have (hopefully!) been done in March as I suggested last month, and as such you can now concentrate on getting things clean, tidy and organised in order to give you more time for all the things you want to do for the rest of the year.
This is the month that the days start to get light and bright – and as such all the dust and cobwebs from winter can be seen more clearly! – everything can feel in need of a good cleaning – and this is just the month to get all this planned and started so that it’s all under control by the time the summer months hit and you can sit back and relax knowing that!
THINGS TO DO IN APRIL
#1 – TIME FOR A SPRING CLEAN?
Its my month to spring clean the house – or at least to get that organised!
This isn’t just cleaning, but also decluttering and sorting the house – and you’ll be pleased to know that I am definitely not advocating getting it all done this month – but at least getting some done, and putting a plan in place for the rest.
The house is a big project – and it can be daunting to try and tackle everything in one go – but there are things that naturally would be done as part of a big “spring clean” and that can fall through the gaps as they don’t come up on a weekly cleaning routine.
It’s focusing on those areas that you don’t really get round to in your usual cleaning routines, and have never really got organised (and making a plan to get them organised going forward…)
Spring cleans came about originally due to the open fireplaces that were heating every home throughout the winters. They left dust and soot everywhere – so that when the spring came (and the light!) the whole house felt dirty and in need of a thorough clean.
But we don’t all have these issues now (although as I said before, the winter grey can stop us seeing some of the dirt that accumulates!), so the way we tackle things can be different too.
My advice is to split your home up into 12 sections – and tackle a section a month (be that by room, or by a particular task i.e. cleaning carpets, defrosting the freezer etc…) – and then schedule it into your diary so it has a hope of getting done.
You can read more details about how to create a cleaning scheduling here.
This means that you have the knowledge that everything will be tackled throughout the year, the house will stay at a level you are happy with, and nothing will get forgotten.
Start this month as you mean to go on – and tackle one “spring clean” job – then write down the rest – and feel happy that its under control!
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
#2 – CHANGE THE MEAL PLANS
Now that it’s spring and winter has well and truly gone, it’s a great time to look at swapping out the more wintery food from your meal plan and add in lighter and fresher foods.
Take away the soups, stews and casseroles and add in more salads, the odd BBQ etc… – this will rejuvenate meal time again.
OTHER THINGS TO LOOK AT IN APRIL
- Have some fun – its April Fools day on the 1st!
- Are you hosting any family get togethers over Easter? Make sure you have all the food and drink you need, plan what people need to bring, and decide on the type of get together you want to have (barbeque would work really well in the current hot weather!) Make it easy for you and then it will be the most enjoyable.
- It’s a really good month to get on top of your gardening – mowing, weeding etc.. will ensure that its ready for the nice weather days that are bound to happen – just like your home should be guest ready, your garden should be barbeque ready!
- Its the Easter holidays for most schools so now is the time to spend time with the children. Organise some days out, the local park for a picnic is a winner every time! – get some friends over, but also make the most of the time at home by doing some organising – why not sort their clothes and toys with them and replace anything that needs it. This shows them there are certain “upkeep” jobs that need to be done as well as having fun.
- Make sure you have got the summer school uniforms ready – its perfect time to get the kids measured up and ready once the weather gets warmer.
- Birthstone = Diamond
- Flower = Sweetpea
- Don’t forget April Fools Day on April 1st!
- Zodiac Signs – Aries March 21st to April 19th – Taurus April 20th to May 20th
APRIL PRINTABLE TO STAY ON TRACK
I’ve created a free TO DO list printable for you for each month of the year – Aprils is shown below: –
WANT A COPY?
It’s available in the OMH Printables Library – the place where all free printables from the site are kept. Simply enter your email to become a member and get instant access. Hope you enjoy!
Getting on top of things in the house, and setting up a cleaning schedule for the rest of the year that means you can get a little done each month instead of one big clean is the main thing to tackle this month.
Alongside that, reinvent your meal plan to be more in line with spring and summer food – yum!
This month it’s all about setting the house up for the summer so you can sit back and relax a little more when the hot weather comes (here’s hoping!)
Oh, and of course, enjoy the Easter break whatever you are doing – you deserve it!
What do you love/hate about this time of year? I’d love to know so please leave a comment below – thanks in advance x